This image of my progress this far overlaps with the previous post.

Anyhow, I am now done stylising all the glyphs that I’d created previously, so not much inkworking for a while. Now I have to start working on developing more glyph-paths, and I might do all the steps, including the last pen-generation, semi-simultaneously this time, now that I have the means. I’m thinking that it might be best to go through Hakulinen, make a list with simple derivations, and do those, intersped with some obligatory lexical glyphs from which to derive the derivational glyphs.


Not much done

Playing with diagram graphs can be surprisingly fun. Recently I’ve tried to find a good graph-making program, and I tried, amongst others, Dia. Too bad it enraged me with the only thing I, a completely linux-illiterate layperson, furiously hate about Gnome, which is the astronomically horrible way Gnome design philosophy handles application language, including not letting the user change the fucking language of the application by themselves. Jesus fucking christ I get flashbacks to all my previous former-related rage-attacks. Gimp, Inkscape and Dia, I am fucking looking at you. Through a scope, if you catch my fucking drift. REPENT YOU FUCKING SINNERS.

Dia aside, yEd is a really fucking neat graph-making program – with node-arrangement algorithms!! I can’t even ____ how awesome this is.
After finding this, I’ve been mainly using it as a mind-mapping and story-design tool, something it’s of-course-not meant, but seeing as how dozens of story-related things, especially in the VN world, are commonly presented in graph form, it seems somehow right. What I’ve been working on is the story for the Three and One Hearts VN project, so character-relationship tables (and rosters), story-line branching structure, family trees etc. etc. It seems to be working quite well, especially with the story-line structure work. Basically I’m following a pretty common story-design trick, where you write down scene ideas onto stick-it notes and arrange them around. Except this time, I have to also have branching story-lines. It’s somewhat fun. Some idea of what it looks like, smallified to obscure spoilers (obviously):


Repetition in the Finnish morphosemantic script

Because the nature of the script makes it extremely transparent that a certain morpheme is being used, and because, by the nature of the script, the repetition of glyphs is less common than in an phonemical script, it looks dorky when you transcribe Finnish literally, and end up reduplicating the whole suffix paradigm of a word because Finnish noun-phrases have suffix concord. The simplest way to make it seem less repetitive is to use a sign that means “yes this is the same as the stuff in the last word”. It will probably be a simple J-shape that goes under-line beneath the modified glyph, like the plural glyph. Thus, a text might be transcribed like this: “surkeista lehmistä tuli maittavia purilaisia” > SURK+EA+PLURAL+TRANSLATIVE LEHMÄ+REPETITION TULLA+PAST MAITTA+VA+PLURAL+PARTITIVE PURILAINEN+REPETITION, ‘the crappy cows became tasty burgers’.